LAZISE - THE PRINCIPAL TOWN

History: Reconstructing the etymology of the name is complicated, what we know is that in some documents of the IX-X century the town was called "Laçeses", a name which derives from the Latin "lacus" (lake) and means lake village .
The history of Lazise has its roots in prehistoric times: in some areas along the shores of the lake numerous objects were found in flint, ceramic, metal and remnants of stilts. Particularly important was the discovery in the 30s of the 1900s of a stilt-dwelling village in Lazise, ​​in the area now partly occupied by the Municipal Campsite and partly by the building of the former elementary school. However, the stilts were destroyed and some of the materials found were donated to the Civic Museum of Rovereto.
An important document dating back to 983 details the rights obtained by the leaders of the town from Emperor Otto II which included:the investiture of port rights, reserved fishing in the waters in front of the inhabited areas, customs tax on transit and goods sold in the market; as well as the concession to fortify the village: important autonomies for the time, for which it is said that Lazise becomes the first municipality of Italy.
It was around 898 AD, when the Hungarians invaded Italy, that the problem arose of having to reinforce the village and, probably, the old castle, whose walls were restored when the town passed under the Lordship of the Scaligeri in 1277. Thanks to the Della Scala family,  the shielded towers were built and the  fortress reconstructed. This was begun by Cansignorio and completed by his sons in 1381.When the Scaligera Lordship had almost reached its end, in 1387, Lazise fell under the control of the Visconti of Milan, as did other towns in Lake Garda which included Malcesine, Torri del Benaco and Garda, all of which joined together to form a sort of protectorate called "La Gardesana".
In 1405 Lazise, ​​like the entire Veronese district, became part of the Republic of Venice, which considered its possession as the key to dominating the lake: Venetian rule lasted until 1797, when Lazise was occupied by Napoleon's troops.Later, with the Treaty of Campoformio, the territory of Lazise found itself on the border between the two empires of Austria and France, to then be annexed first to the Kingdom of Napoleon's Italy (1805), then, with the Restoration, to Lombard-Veneto Kingdom and finally became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.

PIAZZA VITTORIO EMANUELE

LUNGOLAGO MARCONI

LUNGOLAGO CAVAZZOCCA MAZZANTI

PARCO GIOCHI CENTRALE